Thursday, April 20, 2006

Marketing Lessons from a 4 Year Old Boy...

I just spent a week visiting family in Denver. I stayed with my brother's family that included my 11-year old niece Amanda, and my 4-year old nephew Ryan. I've not spent a great deal of time with Ryan, and I learned a few things this week about 4 year olds, and about myself.

For instance...
-Did you now that a little boy's brain never stops working, and delivering its musing to his mouth... unless he's watching a cartoon?

-I learned that there is no filter between a little boy's brain and mouth, resulting in the purest form of honesty I've ever seen. This particular item can cause much embarrassment to surrounding adults when sensitive facts are revealed loudly in public places.

-It is almost impossible to have an adult conversation around a 4 year old without him picking up only the words he shouldn't be hearing and repeating.

-I learned that you can't get away with ANYTHING with a 4 year old. He'll call you on your "stuff."

-I learned of a child's incredible capacity for spontaneous affection and expressions of love.

-And I learned that to a little boy, the song his aunt quietly sings to him to put him to sleep doesn't have to be on key. It just has to be sung from the heart for him to believe it is beautiful.

On the last evening of my visit, little Ryan asked me to put him to bed. I discovered that this process involves a structured procedure. We did the normal things like going potty, brushing teeth, and turning on the closet light to keep the "dream monsters" away.

It involved reading a Furry Kitty book, with "voices," as we cuddled together in his bed.

Lastly, to my surprise, his final request was for a "beuford" song. (I think he meant "beautiful" song). In response to this unexpected request, I defaulted to the song that is closest to my heart, as the first song I sang on stage with a choir, and later as a soloist: "Over the Rainbow."

I felt more pressure than I ever have as I quietly sang the entire song, while my darling nephew patiently listened to every chorus. When I was through, and after a few beats of silence, Ryan opened his eyes and said to me "Aunt Barbara that was a "beuford" song." Then he closed his eyes, turned over and snuggled up for sleep.

As I left his room enveloped in my nephew's unjudgemental love and acceptance, I decided for his birthday in July, he'll be gifted a CD of Aunt Barbara singing his "beuford" song softly to put him to sleep when he wants to remember me.

Thought I don't see my niece and nephews often, my goal is to create little moments during our time together that they'll remember and treasure about their Aunt Barbara. It's memories like these that make me feel connected to them when we're apart.

To tie this into an entrepreneurial issue, here's my lesson for this blog post:
It's about Quality over Quantity.

Some marketers think that if they just "bug" their email lists enough, people will buy. They beg, plead, use every copywriting "trick" they can, and wonder why their sales are still low.

My nephew has taught me that the quality of the information is so much more important than quantity. While you may not communicate with your list every day, when you do send something to them, make sure it is useful, timely, and gives more value than they expect.

It's simple: Give people what they want, plus more than they expect, and make every communication count; and they will give you their business.

And when they want a "beuford" song… give it to them. It will pay off in spades.

To Your Success,
Barbara Drazga

1 comment:

Jay Deragon said...

Excellent story and perspective

I have a 4 year old son and at close to 50 years old my young son teaches me how important the simply things of life really are. I have an office at home and spend way too much time working. Often times my son comes in with a simple question while I am in the middle of something I might consider complex and important. My son's sweet spirit and simple outlook on life often grabs my heart enough for me to stop and pay attention.

He came to me recently while I was working with a question "Daddy, can we go for a golf cart ride and see the deer?" (We live on a golf course which backs up to some woods where lots of deer live and there is a path through the woods). Now when he asked the question I was in the middle of something very important and urgent to my business objectives. In other words I felt under pressure. My sons little voice and sweet spirit always has a way of making me stop and think about what is important and urgent in life. What is important and urgent to me is always what I am teaching my children. Am I too busy and important with complexity to enjoy the simple things of life? If I say to my son "Josh, Daddy is really busy right now so you'll have to wait". Think about what that says to the mind and heart of a 4 year old. It says, "your not as important as work!". WRONG Message for a mind and heart in development.

We went on the golf cart ride and we saw the deer. The experience was very rewarding for him. He loves spending time with his Daddy and he loves the wonders of nature. I in return feel rewarded and fulfilled to have a 4 year old put me in such high esteem and by fulfilling his needs I know I am doing what my God would have me do for him and for me. When every I take the time to do simply things the complex things seem to solve themselves and I get a new perspective on simply solutions to complex problems. I wish I knew what I know know thirty years ago.

The lesson I learn from my 4 year old is that a fulfilled life is about the simply things and doing the right things. As adults we sometimes get caught up thinking that life is about conquering the complex things and thus we get totally engaged in our business issues hoping to conquer and win the prize (whatever that may be). The complex things become simply things when we view them through a different lenses. If your overwhelmed with complexity and it is stressing you out, find a 4 year old and go play with them. One condition, leave your complexities behind and force yourself to see the world as they do. I believe this applies to relationships in general regardless of age.

What say you?