Sunday, September 25, 2005

A snake named Sal, and the love of a child...

I've lived in little Anthem, AZ for 6 weeks now and am learning the nuances of a small town where everyone knows everyone. So I decided to test the gossip grapevine and provide very limited information about myself, just to see how that info gets morphed through the grapevine.
Share your ideas with me on how to have some fun with this!


Upon leaving the gym one night this week, I noticed a snake hanging out in the driveway of the gym (I think he just got done on the treadmill and was taking a break). He didn't move at all, so I got to get close to him (we had a very nice "moment," I think). He had 7 stripes on his tail, alternating black and white, If you can tell me what kind of snake this is, post it on the blog and I'll send you a little gift. Oh, and I named him Sal. Maybe he'll be running the 5k race with me on the golf course next weekend. I'll let you know who wins.

Some of you know about my adorable niece Amanda. She lives in Denver and when I'm there we go shopping, movie-going, and generally doing "girl stuff" together. I learned last week from her mom that she had a homework assignment where she had to write a report on a favorite family member. Guess who she chose? That's right... ME! Is that cool or what? I'll tell you, no money in the world could buy the feeling I had when I heard the news. Of course, the fact that I ply her with Coldstone Creamery ice-cream when we're together has nothing to do with it, I'm sure ;-)



Last week, I attended the Internet Marketing Main event in Phoenix and met the keynote speaker Mark Joyner, who developed a technology called "Simpleology" which is a set of "laws" for personal and financial success. He used loads of cool exercises (you know how I like interactivity!). One of the cool ideas I learned from Mark was how we can easily identify our blind spots and replace them with behaviors that encourage growth and change.

So I signed up for his Simpleology 101 course this past week and am blown away by the content he provides. It's a 37 day course that you do for 15 minutes a day. And the best thing is, his course is FREE! Go sign up now at http://bmdrazga.simpleology.com/

Tell me what you think as you work through it.

To your success and happiness,
Barbara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara... About Sal... think he might just be a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. There is a great website that tells much about all the different snakes that inhabit the state of Arizona: http://www.reptilesofaz.com/herp-snakes.html.
Love your blog! I am living my dreams of Arizona vicarously through you. Someday I hope to also be a resident. Take Care.. Lesleigh Ann (On3pnr1117@aol.com)

Anonymous said...

I am not sure I would have gotten that close to the snake to discover it's rings on the tail. Actually when I was living in Texas I went into the garage to get into my car only to find I had a race going with a snake that found it's way in. The race of course was to the car so thought the snake. As for me, I was more than willing to let the snake have the car - I headed back inside my house.

My neighhor was kind enough remove the snake and take it to the country where both the snake and I could live happily ever after in out seperate worlds.

I think perhaps the Sal as you fondly named your friend might very well be a Diamonback. My snake by the way was a harmless garden snake. I do believe that makes you the braver of the two of us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,

I used to be a water meter reader and found snakes in the field all the time. Sometimes, after making sure they were not poisonous, I would put them in my pocket to take home. (I like snakes.) Some of my favorite moments were when the little fellas would warm up enough to poke their heads out of my shirt pocket during a conversation with an unsuspecting customer. Often the customer would leave skid marks.

I don’t know what kind of snake you had, but I will advise you that if you find a beautiful grey colored snake with a bright orange ring around their neck... don't pick it up. They secrete an odor that is a close rival to a skunk. PEEYUUU.

Regarding fun with the natives. You could ask someone to send you mail in brown paper wrappers with TOP SECRET / CONFIDENTIAL / TOP SECURITY CLEARANCE ONLY stamped all over it. If you know someone in Washington D.C., that would be perfect.
Vicki T.
www.cranialaerobics.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, Barbara!

I think you ran into a Long Nosed Snake which can be found in Maricopa County. It is non-venomous. The Rattlesnake you would have heard by the tell-tale rattle it can have. Check out the site http://www.reptilesofaz.com/herp-snakes.html.

It's a great site with pictures. By the way, thanks for all the information you have sent me. Way back to Bunnyslipper Bootcamp...

jonrath@gmail.net