Monday, June 06, 2005

"I'm moving to Arizona!"

I‘ve been saying these words to friends and family for just two weeks now. At first, I was confused by the two most common questions I received immediately upon stating that I was moving:

  1. “Are you moving there for a job?”
  2. “Did you meet a guy who lives there?”

It occurred to me after fielding these questions multiple times, that the people who asked them really didn’t know me at all.

They simply gave me blank stares and nodded politely when I told them that I am moving for neither of those reasons.

Society expects that these are the two main reasons for someone to move to anywhere, I suppose.

As an independent, adventurous entrepreneur, it didn’t even occur to me to a) move because I’m dating someone (he can come to me, too, ya know), OR b) move for ANY job. My businesses come with me. That’s one of the incredible perks of creating a business structure that can be run from anywhere in the world: freedom to go where you want, when you want.

I now accept these questions with a certain amount of amusement, and recognize that this is the “normal” mindset. But as my CLOSE friends, colleagues, and students will attest to, I am anything BUT normal!

For the record, I am moving for several reasons:

  1. I’m sick of snow
  2. Extreme heat a few months of the year, is the lesser of two evils: snow and heat
  3. Phoenix contains a huge entrepreneurial sub culture
  4. I LOVE the house I’m having built, and the community in which it rests
  5. Moving can be a very cleansing experience as you sort through, discard, and pack your LIFE
  6. I just feel like a change after 8 years in Denver

So if you live in or near Phoenix, AND you can relate to my reasons for moving, pop me an email. I should be up there end of July.

You can see photos of the new digs at www.rainbowproperty.net/AZhome.htm

Back to packing!!!

No comments: