Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Art of Moving Home and Business

One of my readers suggested that “someone” write tips on how to move a home and business. Not one to back down from a challenge, I took the bait.

I’m not sure if I’m doing the move from Denver to Arizona, “right,” but I’ll share the tips I’m using to make it a smooth process.

On the flight home from Arizona, a few days after signing an offer on my new home, I wrote a project plan that included three Stages:

  1. Stage 1 involves sorting through my life belongings, and either a) discard, or b) give to Goodwill. What remains, gets packed to move.
    1. I chose to sell almost all of my furniture, except the antiques, and rent my townhome.
  2. Stage 2 involves moving everything that is packed or going to Arizona in a rented storage unit, to free the house up for cleaning and selling furniture in a house sale.
    1. I’ve put up a website listing what I’m selling, and have listed a lot on eBay (www.rainbowproperty.net/movingsale.htm)
  3. Stage 3 involved cleaning and selling and renting, then calling a moving company to pick up the contents of storage and cart them to Arizona.

An added challenge is the existance of 3 cats, and running 3 businesses.

(If you have ideas on how to rent a 3 BR townhome in Aurora, CO, please send me your tips to info@rainbowproperty.net).

So I put the businesses into maintenance mode, hired a few people to handle orders, and put expansion plans on hold for 60 days until the move is done. As for the cats, well Megan keeps filing herself in the file boxes, Scooter set himself aflame on a candle that was used to freshen the air, and Michelle, well, she’s pretty much cowering under the bed until the whole process is done (or until I pack the bed!).

I can’t *wait* for the 14 hour drive to Arizona with three yowling cats in tow!

I packed everything in the kitchen, eat off of paper plates, and gave away all the food to my local church, and eat out. I’ve also packed my entire office, except for the neccesary office supplies.

Then, I placed an ad on Craigslist.org for moving and packing help, and hired two people, both with large cars, to help pack and move everything to storage.

I’ve kept two small boxes for last-minute packing to put in car.

There is a packing SYSTEM, naturally. Everything is photographed, then packed for shipping, labels applied, inventoried, then stacked carefully. All furniture is placed on left-hand side of storage unit so movers can load it into truck first. The lables are printed with the ROOM NAME first (so the movers know where to put it), then a number (ie: Den-1, Den 2, etc.). Beneath that, a brief description of the contents (office supplies, books, education, files).

I print “FRAGILE” stickers on flourescent stickers for the breakable boxes, wrap all furniture in buddle wrap, cardboard, and shrink wrap to hold it all together. The boxes to be opened first, I’ve used a pink highlighter to color the packing label. The photos and inventory list go to my insurance agent who wrote my home owner policy.

I am tackling the move as I tackle a business challenge or project: I created a plan, developed systems, and hired people.

If you have any input on making a move painless, leave your comments!

1 comment:

Brandon said...

I'm sure you did everything necessary to inform all your friends, family and customers about your new address.

Luckily, email addresses are very handy to maintain a source of non-moving contacts for everyone. You can stay in touch anywhere you can log onto your email with a computer.

I moved after 35 years in one locale half-way across the country. I found that opening a bank account with a bank that had branches in both states made the transfer of money and the transition for changing addresses a lot easier. Once I arrived at the new location, all I had to do was have checks printed for the new address. If you should be as lucky as the Bunny Slipper Princess, then you know the address where you are going before you move.

Don't forget to check all the utility companies at the old location to make sure they are reading the meters (or shutting off service in your name) on the date you are leaving. I left Dallas and the electric company did not follow my instructions about reading the electric meter, and I kept getting bills for four months, charging me for the new apartment tenant's electric service used.

I literally had to write the president of the utility company (they had turned my account over to a collection agency), file a formal complaint with the Dept of Consumer Affairs at the State of Texas, and the Dallas Better Business Bureau (yeah, right; the BBB is going to threaten the state's largest electric utility).

Make sure all accounts with local merchants are closed.

Find out about the auto registration and driver's license requirements in the new state before you move.

Contact your auto insurance company about the move and find out how to transfer your insurance, or cancel the old and get some new coverage.

Make sure your old telephone company puts an "intercept" on your old number stating that your new number is "whatever it is".

Get copies of medical records from your doctors and hospital before you leave. Getting them later is a nightmare, because they want signed medical release forms. Get dental
x-rays to carry with you. Make sure you have a copy of eyeglass prescriptions.

Contact a pharmacy as soon as you land at the new location and get your medication prescriptions transferred from the old pharmacy. They will do this for you.

Good luck; there is a lot to cover.

Brandon
San Diego