Monday, September 17, 2007

I was attacked by a mountain lion

Ok, that's the story I'm going with.

It beats telling people I tripped and fell on my face while hiking the Grand Canyon!

After hiking back to civilization, I found a cute Ranger to take me to the Canyon's clinic where they put a few stitches in my knee, and bandaged of various extremities. Xrays showed I also broke my nose (nice shiners, huh?)

How, you may ask, am I going to tie this into a business lesson... well, I've found a few ways:

1. it is ALWAYS possible to find the positive in any situation. I did NOT break my hand or my knee caps, which would have been a much greater handicap than breaking my nose. I don't type with my nose (although I have tried it after too many glasses of red wine).

2. I had to stay an extra day in the Canyon after being put back together again by all the king's men at the great clinic. However, because I have processes in place, and most everything is outsourced, I didn't have to worry about my business grinding to a hault. My incredible team took care of everything.

3. The personal lessons were numerous, but the most important seems to be to slow down. I was hiking at a fast pace. Now that I can't walk so well, I have to hooble slowly everywhere. It's changed my normally fast pace of life into a more deliberate pace, where I watch every little thing that's happening.

4. Misteps will occur in life and in business. It's HOW we deal with them that counts. After I fell, my brain kicked into survival mode. I felt no emotion, just focused on problem solving. I found myself creating a process in my head!
Step 1: hike back to civilization;
Step 2: Assess and clean injuries;
Step 3: Get medical attention.

So when emergencies happen in your business, reacting emotionally may not get you to a solution. Rather, assessing the damage and devising a plan of action will more quickly help you past the situation.

So when faced with a "mountain lion" stay cool, get help, and above all... remain positive!

Barbara (aka Scarface)



2 comments:

Cat Bert said...

Whoa, Scarface,
That's a couple of shiners, all right.
You always amaze me... you can get all clobbered up and still, all you think about is helping your customers and clients and keeping your business going smoothly.
I hope you heal fast so you can feel good again!

Roberta, the Cat Lady

Anonymous said...

Barbara,

So sorry to hear about your spill! You have an incredible attitude though...wow.

Hope you heal and feel better real soon!

Tony Zayas